Friday 3 December 2010

worm layering

I like my worm farm, but I'm finding it hard to get the rewards out of it I should.  It's easy enough to pour water on it to drain out the worm wee.  But getting out the casing is a pain in the bum because, well, it's full of worms!  Compost worms are a bit touchy and won't necessarily survive in the garden, so I want to keep them in the bin.  Commercially-made worm farms come with layers but my worm farm was free, just two broccoli boxes from a shop.

I got some great advice from the OzGrow garden forum, where I get all kinds of advice.  First, peel back the newspaper covering and pull off any large chunky food (in this case, some rocket).
http://www.alexareynolds.com/garden10/wormlayer1.JPG
Next, put on a layer of hessian sack.  New worm food goes on top of this.  Newspaper layer goes over that and of course the lid over that.
http://www.alexareynolds.com/garden10/wormlayer2.JPG
The worms will migrate through the hessian to eat the food above.  After a few weeks, I'll use the hessian to pull the whole layer of worms and scraps off, and below that should be a layer of worm casings.  Hopefully with fewer worms in it!

0 comments: